Open since May 2013, The Memory Resource Room was the first of its kind in Ireland. It is located in Mallow Primary Healthcare Centre and is open to anyone who has concerns about their memory, has been diagnosed with dementia or has a relative with dementia.
Here, people can meet a HSE Occupational Therapist to discuss the issues they are experiencing in a relaxing and homely environment. Free and confidential advice and information on services is available and there are numerous practical resources available to explore.
Please view the North Cork Dementia Alliance location page for directions.
For further information, click on the Memory Resource Room leaflet (below).
Such resources include:
- Assistive technology – eg. locator devices, medication reminders, simplified phones, GPS devices, monitoring systems
- Other aids – eg. noticeboards, calendars, labels for everyday items, clocks
- Reminiscence items – eg. memory box, life story book, old photos
- Ideas for activities/occupation – eg. items for sorting, playing cards, personalised recipe books, knitting, proverbs, crosswords
- Sensory items eg. comfort muffs, sensory cushions, items for hand massage, themed sensory kits
You can also get information and flyers on a large range of issues including:
- First steps after diagnosis
- Practical tips for living with memory loss
- Legal issues
- Practical tips for round the home
- Assistive technology
- Caring for someone with dementia
*Please note many of these flyers are available on the resources page of this website*
The room is decorated with homely furniture and provides a calming environment where people can discuss sensitive issues. There is no charge and you do not require a medical card to access the Memory Resource Room. However booking an appointment is essential.
Contact the project to make an appointment.